Thursday, March 26, 2009

What are you doing now that you're retired?

People are constantly asking me that, as though being retired is akin to having a fatal disease. Well, I occasionally babysit my grandchildren and travel out of state to visit friends and family whenever I want to. I've taken up knitting and cross-stitching, exercise at the recreation center, upgrade my computers as well as keep up with new technology and my blog/facebook/twitter accounts (not as often as I would like), juggle listening to or reading at least five books at all times, and watch DVDs of TV shows and movies I never had time for while working.

My husband and I try to take in a few of the local cultural events and try new restaurants in the Cleveland area at least once or twice a month. When the weather is nice we visit areas a little further outside our comfort zone. This past year, we redecorated part of our kitchen and painted the TV room. Three more rooms are on our agenda for repainting this year. Next year the bathroom - ugh!

I volunteer two hours at our local church each week and will probably volunteer at my grandson's school when he starts attending in about a year and a half. I've offered my assistance at two other institutions, but my assistance wasn't needed - thank heavens, because I enjoy what little time I have left over to leisurely read the newspaper each morning and fill out the daily Sudoku puzzle.  

Retired people never have enough time. We're finally doing all those things we put off doing during the forty-five years we were employed. That's a lot of living to do!

No comments: