Saturday, March 21, 2009

Venting about executive bonuses and stuff

I hear the news everyday hammering about bailouts, executive bonuses, and trillions of dollars of debt and get more than a bit concerned. Since I was twenty-seven years old, I put at least 5% of my income into mutual funds, and I would like to know - where did it go?

Why do executives get bonuses when their shareholders get zip? Why is failure being rewarded by a golden parachute?

My husband and I constantly argue with each other about the state of the economy. We both believe in the capitalistic system and the free market economy, but I've seen trouble coming for quite a few years. People should be rewarded for creativity and good performance, but something has been brewing that is very disturbing.

Over the past forty-two years I've considered myself to be middle-class. It took me twenty-four years to increase my annual salary from $25,000 to $84,000. I should have been happy, but everything I put aside in investments all but vanished and the cost of my kids education used up all the rest.

My retirement income is currently one third of my former salary - now, I find myself in the lower middle-class and expect to stay there the rest of my life. Fortunately we live frugally, having downscaled from a large home to condo living, and going from two cars to one as soon as the lease on my Honda expires this September. My self esteem is not contingent upon what I possess, so I'm not lying around moaning about my current financials - well, sometimes I do.

This bleeding out of my personal investments didn't happen just in the past twelve months; it's been developing over the past seven years, maybe even longer. Over the past couple of decades the rich have gotten richer and the lower middle/middle class have lost ground.

I'm not opposed to rewarding those who make money for their companies, but first fruits should go to those who own the company - the shareholders, not just preferred, but also the "gasp" common stockholders. If profits and stocks decline in value, then no bonuses should be paid to any one.

Maybe they should even be fired or compensation reduced. I'd like to see those that receive stock as part of their compensation package not be allowed to sell for seven years - in my dreams. Heck, I was locked into time restrictions on my investments.

I'm not into class warfare. There will always be people richer than I am and more power to them for their creativity and hard work. I just don't want them driving companies into the ground and absconding with all the profits leaving shareholders and other employees with nothing. We made heroes of corporate raiders and executives with untouchable golden parachutes and no accountability. Now we are reaping the wind.

No comments: