Monday, July 14, 2008

Cost of Food Today

When did really good fish become so expensive? Last week I tried out a new fish shop in Twinsburg, located at the rear of the Lobster House. I'm not sure if it is comparable in cost to the grocery chains, but I thought I'd give it a try. I bought some wild salmon and some kind of fish from Hawaii. Loved the salmon, but probably won't buy the other again.

Anyway, I was happy to find "The 20 Healthiest Foods for Under $1" link on Lifehacker just to balance out the budget a bit. It's pretty cool and it includes recipes.

Cooking for just two or one can actually be rather costly, but we've begun using DIY dinners to save on throwing out uneaten leftovers or unused pieces and parts of items that we had to buy to complete a recipe. Each dinner costs about $10 ($5/per person) and no waste. Not sure how much I'm saving, but everything gets eaten and nothing to throw out.

1 comment:

Cari said...

You told me you were doing DIY Dinners before... I'm still pretty intrigued. I *never* have time to cook. I might actually save money doing these, especially if it keeps us from eating out so much!