Thursday, July 24, 2008

CLEVNET Has MP3 Audiobooks for iPods!

I am so excited! Yes, this is a big thing - CLEVNET's e media collection is now available for iPod users with a CLEVNET Library card. Check here for CLEVNET libraries. Granted the collection is rather small (it's brand new after all) and ALMOST EVERYTHING is already checked out (of the 200 plus mp3 titles, how many are checked out by CPL staff, I wonder?:).

I was able to find three titles to check out for myself: Anne of Green Gables, Raise Your Social IQ, and Bloodlist. I'm not sure these would have been my first choices (slim pickings for now, as I said before), but I wanted to try out the new collection.

OverDrive's MP3 titles are compatible with most MP3 players, including Apple devices. Some, like the iPod Shuffle may be used with special considerations. Check OverDrive's website for more information.

It will be necessary to download the OverDrive Media Console 3.0 on your computer to access CLEVNET's MP3 content. The instructions also suggested that I change my iPod to manual sync rather than auto, but that didn't help. So I imported my title from the OverDrive Media Console on my PC to iTunes and then synced my 5th generation iPod without a hitch. I did have to import each of the files/parts individually. I'm not sure whether the newer iPod Touch would work differently. When my daughter returns from South Africa next month, I will try it on her iPod Touch.

If you want to burn the files to CDs, I would suggest creating a new playlist for each title first and making sure the files/parts are in numerical order before burning. If anyone has had a different experience, I would appreciate comments.

No comments: