Saturday, October 4, 2008

What is Edamame?


My favorite new snack food is edamame, which is the name given to the soybean pod picked just before the beans inside have hardened. The pods are then parboiled and frozen for distribution. Edamame provides fiber, protein, carbohydrates, plant omega-3 fatty acids, iron, Vitamins A, C and calcium.

It's been an Asian staple for over two thousand years and has become popular in the U.S. rather recently as a healthy snack alternative. The most confusing thing about edamame is figuring out how to pronounce it. I've embarrassed myself quite a few times in grocery stores when asking for help in finding it. I believe it is pronounced ed-a-ma-may and will most likely be located in the frozen health food area, not with the regular frozen veggies. Sams Club has it available for sale by the case. 

Although they look like green beans, the pod is not really edible - only the beans on the inside are to be eaten. Instructions on preparing the pods are contained on the packaging, usually involving boiling or microwaving for two to six minutes depending on the serving size. 

I've been buying them in small one or two portion packets that I keep frozen until I'm ready to snack. I zap them in the microwave for two and a half minutes and voila - healthy goodness, ready to eat. 

No comments: