Thursday, July 25, 2013

Remembering 1968

My first job after graduate school was as manager of the Brookside Branch of the Tulsa City-County Library System. I found a one room garage apartment just a few blocks away from my library and arrived in Tulsa with just enough money to pay for my first months rent and only $5.00 leftover for food until my first paycheck.

In 1968 that $5.00 had a lot more buying power than it does today. Hamburger was only forty-nine cents a pound. I was able to purchase two pounds of ground beef, head of lettuce, loaf of bread, milk, ketchup, dozen eggs, and vitamins. This would cost over $25.00 with today's prices.

I never told anyone how hard up I was at the time.  I survived - thanks to a couple free dinners from the family that owned by apartment. 

No comments: