Saturday, January 28, 2012

Twinsburg School District Asking for New Levy

My local school district has been conducting forums to explore public reactions to a new school levy of either 4.9 or 6.9 mills. Summit County has reduced property values during this recession period by more than 10%, so this impacts a bit on how much revenue is collected by schools and local governments.

Personally, my taxable property value was reduced by $7,620, decreasing my my annual property taxes by $234. Small potatoes overall, but multiply this by all property owners in my school district and it is significant. If schools ask for a 4.9 mill levy, they will collect about $281 a year from me or about $47 more than I paid in 2010. The 6.9 mill proposal will increase my taxes next year by $396 or $162 a year more than I paid in 2010.

Bottom line: the 4.9 mills proposal will not raise enough revenue for the schools unless drastic and permanent cuts are made and there is still no guarantee that they won't come back for another increase in two or three years. I would support the 6.9 mills proposal if the school district would do the following:
 1. make modest and permanent budget cuts this year,
 2. do not go for any loans this year in anticipation of future revenues,
 3. promise not to ask voters for any additional levy or bond issues over the next five years.

1 comment:

bestreviewstech said...

All i can say about this post is that it was epic! One of the few sites where original content is shared. I like this site!
Pc tricks and tips