Monday, April 26, 2010

Swine flu, a year later

Last October I got my seasonal flu shot as usual, but was told there was a shortage of H1N1 vaccine and that it would be available only for those in high risk categories. I also read that people over 65 were probably immune anyway due to a related flu strain that was pandemic during the 1950s and we wouldn't need the shot.

Well, I spent most of January in bed recovering from H1N1 and another week in February recovering from the seasonal flu that I was inoculated against. Now I heard on TV that the seasonal flu and the H1N1 vaccines will be combined into one shot to make it easier for distribution, but that seniors over 70 would need a stronger vaccine to be protected.

Great! I was too old for last year's H1N1 shot and this year I'm too young to receive the stronger shots that might prevent me from almost dying. I'm thinking that I may have to invest in packages of face masks or stay home during flu season next winter.

No comments: