Thursday, August 7, 2008

Are the New Mini-notebooks Practical or Just a Fad?

I need both a new laptop and a new heavy duty desktop, but I don’t want to eat Ramen noodles for the rest of the year. So I’m postponing the desktop to next spring when the new iMacs are available, but right now I need something inexpensive to use for e-mail and to update my blogs.

There’s something intriguing about the ultra small notebooks that have been or will be released this year that makes me want to buy one. They’re not much bigger than a hardback novel and some of them are available in shiny new colors. Part of the novelty is that they don’t cost much more than an iPod Touch, have Wi-Fi built-in, and nearly full-sized keyboards with a choice of Linux or Windows XP operating systems.

I bought one of the first Asus Eee PCs last year for staff members to take to meetings and conferences. I fell in love with it, but not sure that anyone else made use of it.

They’re not meant to take the place of a desktop PC or to be used for gaming or multimedia devices, but if you need to send/read email, type notes, or find something quickly on the internet anywhere you have access to Wi-Fi, then this may be the device for you.

Mini-notebooks are not that much larger than a Kindle, so I’m wondering if they could also be used as e-book readers (although they’re not being advertised as such). I restricted these liliputian notebooks to 8.9” models, although some manufacturers may have larger versions available now or in the near future.


Acer Aspire One MiniNote – 8 GB hard drive, 8.9” screen, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 512 MB RAM, Linux Lite OS - $379 or Windows XP - $399; available in white, blue, pink or brown (3G data support is being promised for future versions)


Asus Eee PC – 16 GB hard drive, 8.9” screen, Intel Mobile CPU, 1 GB RAM, Linux OS - $399 or Windows XP - $449; available in Pearl White or Galaxy Black (Amazon.com)



Dell e Mini-notebook – 4 GB hard drive, 8.9” screen, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom CPU, 512 MB RAM, Linux - $299 or Windows XP – price unknown; other options (including webcam) add to cost; sacrificed function keys to provide larger keyboard; photos show red or dark grey case; not yet available (larger hard drives will increase cost)

HP mini-note – 4 GB Flash Drive, 8.9” screen, 1.0 GHz Processor, 512 MB RAM, Linux - $499 or Windows Vista - $599 (includes 120 GB drive, 1 GB RAM)


Lenovo IdeaPad S9 – 8 GB hard drive, 8.9” screen, Intel Atom N270 processor, 1 GB RAM, webcam, Linux or Windows XP - $418 approx. (not sure if same price for both OS); may not be available in the US until October.

There are a number of other ultra-portable notebooks that have been designed for children, but these specific models seem to be trying to appeal to adults wanting subcompact laptops. The appearance and projected price ($299) of the Dell make it a strong contender, but I'll have to wait until I read reviews by actual users. The Acer Aspire has a richer look to it than the Asus Eee PC. I remember that the Asus keyboard was very tiny and a bit clunky to use. Haven't heard if that's been improved.

Some warnings about these machines - they tend to run hot, best to place on a surface not your lap for any length of time; whatever version of Linux operating system they have available will probably work faster and more efficiently than Windows. If you must use Vista, I would recommend going with a regular sized laptop.

1 comment:

Cari said...

I don't know what everyone else thought of the EEE PC, but I didn't care for it just because the keyboard was SO small. If I got a mini-notebook, I think I'd lean towards the Dell model--but my full-sized laptop does the job, for the most part. I haven't done a conference yet, but I did take my full-sized laptop to OLC North this year and it was fine.